General Information Related to Foreigner Regional Registration

  • It is part of the normal mandatory process that within the stipulated timeframe of arrival in India, the student has to
    register his/ her name with the police in the designated Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) i.e. at
    Kapurthala (presently located at Phagwara) for the students residing in the campus. Studdens staying in other locations like Jalandhar should registered themselves with designated FRRO as applicable depending upon the place
    of stay of the student.
  • The time frame or rules for the FRRO may vary from 24 hours to 14 days of arrival depending on the country of
    origin, thus seek the most updated information from the Ministry of External Affair website.
  • A student with a PIO card also must register at the FRRO. Only OCI card holders need not register.
  • University would only provide necessary assistance in this regard and it is the responsibility of the students to get the registration done and provide the copy of the FRRO certificate to the University within the stipulated time as
    prescribed by the University from time to time. Failure to do so may lead to cancellation of the admission.
  • The applicable processing fees for the FRRO/Visa extension/immigration processing fees and other related
    expenses have to be additionally borne by the student.
  • It is also the responsibility of the student to inform designated FRRO in case they are leaving the county(both
    in case of temporary movement like going for holidays and also in case students want to permanently leave the county because the programme is over or students wants to discontinue the programme or student has been expelled or have been denied admission.)
  • Students are not required to register himself/herself on each visit as long as he/she is visiting on the same visa on
    which he/she is registered earlier. However, the registered foreigner needs to report to FRRO, if; re-enters India on a fresh visa.
  • Further, if the registered foreigner obtains a new passport during the validity of his registration and visa, then theforeigner is required to get the visa transferred on to his new passport from FRRO.
  • Also, in case there are any changes in the foreign registration rule then University may seek more information
    as required from the student and/or can direct to follow the most recent guidelines as applicable and define by the
    government from time to time.
  • University may debar the student to continue attending classes or staying in the university residential facility if student does not
    maintain a valid visa/ FRRO or does not follow any guidelines issued by the Govt. of India/ Govt. of Punjab/University/ any other authority from time to time.
  • For loss of attendance/ academics or any expenditure so occurred because of such action by the university, the
    student himself will be responsible and no relaxation or benefit may be provided in such cases and all expenditure
    has to be born by the student.
  • In case the initial FRO certificate is not endorsed for the complete duration of the programme or student has to
    extend the stay because he/she is not able to complete the programme in the stipulated time then the student should apply for the extension of the FRO before it expires.


It is the student’s responsibility to comply with all the visa/foreigner registration or other formalities as defined by the Govt. of India/ Govt. of Punjab/University/ any other authority from time to time thus it is advised to visit Ministry of External Affairs website regularly to avoid any legal complication and hassles.