Objectives of the Ph.D. Programes
The University has a mission to develop high quality researchers having strong base of principles and methods of their disciplines, deep understanding of their chosen areas of specialization, the motivation to learn continually, interact with multi-disciplinary groups and dare to handle new challenges offered by the front-end technologies. Above all, the candidates should develop the capacity for free and objective enquiry, courage and integrity, awareness and sensitivity to the needs and aspirations of the society.
- Master Degree or a professional Degree declared equivalent to the Master’s Degree by the corresponding statutory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade B in UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) or an equivalent degree from a Foreign Educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.
- Candidates who have cleared the M.Phil. course work with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade 'B' in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and successfully completing the M.Phil. Degree shall be eligible to proceed to do research work leading to the Ph. D. Degree in the same Institution in and integrated programme. A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC(non-creamy layer) / differently-abled.
- Candidates possessing a Degree considered equivalent to M.Phil. Degree of an Indian Institution, from a Foreign Educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions, will be eligible for admission to Ph.D. programme.
- An international student seeking admission in Ph. D. are bound to fulfill all the above mentioned conditions.
Ph.D. programme will be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years. The extension beyond this period can be granted by the Vice Chancellor only in exceptional circumstances. The women candidates and Persons with Disability (more than 40% disability) may be allowed a relaxation of two years for Ph.D. in the maximum duration. In addition, the women candidates may be provided Maternity Leave/Child Care Leave once in the entire duration of M. Phil / Ph.D. for up to 240 days.
Procedure for admission
Applications for the admission to Ph.D. Programme will be invited well in advance and will be made on the basis of written test (LPU NEST) and interview. The admission will be subject to vacancy being available in the relevant specializations. The candidates who qualify UGC / CSIR (JRF) Examination / SLET (Punjab only) / GATE / GPET / Teacher Fellowship or have passed M. Phil Programme will be exempted from entrance test. After qualifying the written test the candidate will be evaluated on the basis of Interview.
Ph.D. Course Work
The course work will have a minimum of 08 credits. All candidates admitted to the Ph.D. programme will be required to complete the course work during the initial one or two semesters. The Ph.D. scholar has to obtain a minimum of 55% of marks or its equivalent grade in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade/CGPA in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) in the course work in order to be eligible to continue in the programme and submit the dissertation/thesis. The attendance for course work shall be mandatory and the University’s attendance rules shall be applicable.
The candidates who have completed M.Phil. will be exempted for course work if:
- The admission to M.Phil. programme of Lovely Professional University has been through an entrance examination and course work has been prescribed at the M.Phil. level, such M.Phil. candidates (scored 55% in M.Phil) when admitted to the Ph.D programme shall not be required to undertake course work, subject to the specific compliance of other requirements.
- A student in case has done M.Phil (with 55% marks) from another university, Lovely Professional University may give credit for the course work done in the previous university and exempt such a candidate from course work in Ph.D.
Ph.D. Candidacy and Monitoring Process
A student will be given the Ph.D. Candidacy on completion of the following requirements:
- Passing the Course Work.
- Presenting a State-Of-the-Art (SOTA) seminar that delineates the current state of knowledge about the specific problem on which the student wants to pursue research, the proposed methodology and the goals intended to be achieved.
After the candidate is granted the Ph.D. Candidacy, he/she will appear before the Department Doctoral Board once in six months to make a presentation of the progress of his/her work for evaluation and further guidance.
Submission of Thesis
The Ph.D. candidate will be allowed to submit the thesis, if and only if, he/she has published at least one (1) research paper in refereed journal and made two paper presentations in conferences/seminars before the submission of the thesis for adjudication, and produce evidence for the same in the form of presentation certificates and/or reprints. The candidate will make a presentation of the work done by him/her, which will be open to all faculty members and research students before the thesis is bound and submitted for evaluation. Division of Academic Affairs will be responsible for scheduling the open presentation for interested candidates. A candidate who intends to submit the thesis must inform the office of School of Research Degree Programme through a letter forwarded by his Advisor.
The Ph.D. thesis submitted by a research scholar will be evaluated by his/her Research Supervisor and at least three external examiners who are not in employment of the Institution/College, out of which one shall be from outside the Punjab.
Defense of Thesis and Announcement of Award of Ph.D. Degree
The public viva-voce of the research scholar to defend the thesis will be conducted only if the evaluation report(s) of the external examiner(s) on the thesis are satisfactory and include a specific recommendation for conducting the viva-voce examination. The candidate will finally present the research work duly approved by the Thesis Reading Board to the Oral Defense Board as per the schedule. The Oral Defense Board will examine the candidate through a Seminar and a Viva Voce based on the reports from Thesis Reading Board. The viva voce examination of the candidate for the Ph.D. will be openly defended where all the faculty members and research students will be invited. At least three days’ notice through UMS will be given to the faculty members and others to invite them to attend the viva-voce. Based on the performance of the candidate in the seminar and viva voce, the Oral Defence Board will send its recommendations for the award of Ph.D. degree for approval by the Vice Chancellor. Along with the degree, the University will issue a provisional certificate certifying to the fact that the degree has been awarded in accordance with the provisions to the UGC Regulations 2016.